27 January 2014

Must visit in Lima- Larco Museum and Café del Museo


I went there for the first time in August 2013 and it was love at first sight, I even dreamt I would get married there. Then I came back twice in September, spent whole afternoons contemplating the pieces, the garden then sipping a café in the restaurant thinking I would love to be there every single day, this is the most beautiful place in Lima. And I hit on a brilliant idea: why wouldn't I apply for a job there then? I even wrote a post about it sometime ago (A date in Larco <--)

And all happened unusually quickly. I sent my CV, was invited to an interview with a charming Mariana, met the museum's director and was to become the museum's guide, attending an archaeology course in Spanish, preparing myself to guide in French above all because there wasn't anyone speaking French in fact. A one month later, I was an official museum's tour guide and the happiest girl in the world.

The museum was founded in 1926 and its galleries provide an excellent overview on 3000 years of development of Peruvian pre-Columbian history. Me and my colleagues would start guiding with an introduction to the Peruvian culture and general knowledge so that it'd be easier to visit the rest of the country with some key facts in mind. Because Peru isn't only about Machu Picchu and the Incas. There existed more than 80 societies before the Incas, equally important. La cerise sur le gâteau is the unique, impressive storage area open to the public, something you wouldn't find almost anywhere else and an interesting erotic gallery.

Practical information: 
- located in a beautiful neighborhood of Pueblo Libre
- open every single day from 9am to 10pm 

 ***
My Peruvian family used to say that I was making the literal best of my stay in Peru and that's how I felt. I loved my classes at PUCP, my job in the musem, my Peruvian family, my flatmates, my new colleagues, sunny days in the museum's garden, grateful tourists and this beautiful sunset that accompanied me every evening on my way back home. 

I'd like to thank Mariana who made me welcome in the museum, Señor Andrés for believing in me, Miguel for having taught me so many fascinating things about Peruvian history and culture, and all my Peruvian colleagues. Unfortunately I cannot come back  to Lima in March but if someday I happen to travel back to Peru (which I truly hope) I won't neglect to pay you a visit.

With Don Huarache who worked himself with Senor Larco!

Miguel, the museum's guide who taught me so many things

In my favorite room



Guiding my friends 

Larco Café is the greatest culinary experience in Lima! The desserts are to die for

I was lucky and delighted to be offered a meal in the restaurant. God, how I miss it!
Christmas breakfast in the museum
Some of my colleagues





MUCHAS GRACIAS POR TODO

3 comments:

  1. Aw, your story is so inspiring! :) These photos are show Lima in a very beautiful way that I actually would like to visit in one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting post…
    Really a fantastic museum! I didn't visit it when I was in Lima some years ago.
    What a pity!!
    A big kiss my dear!!

    ReplyDelete